In a previous blog I noted The Land Claimed Us. Well, it is 2.5 years later and we are gearing up to build. Having never thought about all the details of building a house before, we’ll need to keep a record of it, so we can witness our own journey (and so can the kids and others).
We are thankful for Angie and Darwin. They have big hearts and generosity that abounds. Angie submitted the first draft drawing to us on January 20, 2016.
- The floor plan is close, but we’ve had so many revisions, Angie is just dating them now.
- Before the sketch is sent off to be officially drawn we are going to have to estimate the cost of the house, because, of course, everything we like is different than the norm.
- Our stamina is increasing – meaning we can spend more than an hour at a time talking about/researching house features. Or, we can shop at multiple stores to get ideas. In the beginning, after 2 hours, I was toast.)
- Awareness: Flooring is really important and impacts all other decisions in the kitchen and great room. We are all over the map. Luxury Vinyl or Bamboo, Wood or Slate or Cork Look? YES to all:)
- FYI – We hear each other better when listening to the other talk.
- Whoever thought you could get disoriented and lost in Lowe’s.
- We walk around everywhere with a tape measure in hand, it is getting a little weird.
- Russ is thinking about making the kitchen island top with tile and wood. I love it, I’ve always loved that combination!
- We found some small bistro tables with high chairs and a gas fire pit in the center of the table. Hopefully they will be popular next summer when we are ready to buy.
Until next post, we will appreciate each step in our journey towards having a River Cabin to vacation at with family and friends.